1. I’m here to share some truth with you: Swedish winters are actually the best.
2. Sure, it gets pretty cold and it’s dark most of the time.
An island in the Stockholm archipelago.
3. But many amazing things make up for that.
4. First, Sweden looks beautiful under the snow.
Skeppsholmen, in Stockholm.
5. Like, straight-out-of-a-fairy-tale gorgeous.
Left is Sundborn, Dalarna. Right is Abisko, Lapland.
6. I mean, look at this!
7. Second, Swedes are VERY good at winter holidays.
8. There is Santa Lucia, a holiday where a teenage girl walks around with a crown of candles on her head…
Which is kind of badass when you think about it!
9. And where you can eat as many delicious saffron buns as you want.
10. And then, of course, there is Christmas.
11. And nothing is quite as delightful as Christmas in Sweden.
12. You can feel the festive spirit everywhere.
Left is in Gammelstad, Lulea. Right is in Gothenburg.
13. And taste it, too.
Left are pepparkakor, ginger cookies that taste exactly like Christmas. Right are cups of glögg, the Swedish mulled wine.
14. Which brings us to the food.
Here is some pork shank with some turnip mash, and two plates of Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and lingonberries
15. Sweden RULES at winter treats.
On the left, we have risgrynsgröt, a Swedish rice pudding, and on the right, some crispy waffles with cloudberry jam.
16. And at anything sweet in general.
Left is a slice of kladdkaka, a Swedish chocolate cake, and right are semlor, some cardamon-flavored buns filled with whipped cream and almond paste.
17. The country is the birthplace of cinnamon rolls, and if you haven’t tried a true kanelbullar, you should do it asap.
18. Swedes also make the best cups of hot chocolate.
19. And what better time than winter to enjoy fika, the traditional afternoon coffee-and-pastries break?
20. If food doesn’t do it for you, head north for a chance to witness THIS:
Left is in Jämtland county and right is near Kiruna.
21. And admire the amazing landscapes of the arctic circle.
22. On your way, you could even visit the Icehotel.
In Jukkasjärvi, near Kiruna.
23. So pack up your bags and book your plane tickets!
24. Because Sweden is waiting for you.
Left is Hovdala Castle and right is Helsingborg, both in Scania.
25. And even though the country is great all year…
26. It’s especially awesome in the winter!