Join as we visit Ljubljana, Slovenia in this travel guide covering some of the best things to do in the city including highlighting the local food and restaurant scene, museums worth visiting, the old town, castle, quirky neighborhoods and more. With a week in Ljubljana, Slovenia we had plenty of time to cover the main attractions in the city along with take some day trips. If you’re thinking of visiting a weekend would be enough time for a busy trip but 3-4 days or longer would be more ideal for slower exploration. Now let’s explore the capital city of Slovenia together!
10 Things to do in Ljubljana City Tour | Slovenia Travel Guide:'(Slovenija)
Introduction to Ljubljana – 00:01
1) Old Town of Ljubljana at Prešeren Square (Prešernov trg) + Franciscan Church (Frančiškanska cerkev) – 00:39
2) Bridges of Ljubljana = Triple Bridge (Tromostovje) + Love Lock Bridge (Mesarski most) + Dragon Bridge (Zmajski most) – 00:46
3) Ljubljana Central Market (Osrednja ljubljanska tržnica) + Ljubljana Cathedral (ljubljanska stolnica) – 02:59
4) Slovenian Food at Allegria restaurant in Ljubljana – 03:57
5) Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski grad – Laibacher Schloss) on Castle Hill – 04:24
6) River Cruise on the Ljubljanica River + Ice Cream (Cacao) – 06:54
7) Metelkova for street art in Ljubljana – 09:14
8) Balkan Food sampling Bosnian Cuisine at restaurant Sarajevo 84 – 10:43
9) Galleries and Museums Ljubljana including The National Gallery of Slovenia (Narodna galerija), the Museum of Modern Art (Moderna galerija), and the National Museum of Slovenia (Narodni muzej Slovenije) – 11:12
10) Tivoli City Park Gardens (Mestni park Tivoli) – 11:39
Outro to Ljubljana- 12:01
GEAR WE USE
Panasonic GH5: http://amzn.to/2yqTUyi
Canon G7X ii: http://amzn.to/2yqtM6B
Rode Video Micro: http://amzn.to/2wTguTM
Joby Gorilla Pod: http://amzn.to/1PgoY5F
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro: http://amzn.to/25KEErs
Our visit Ljubljana travel guide documentary covers some of the top attractions including a food guide (Slovene, Balkan and Bosnian), top sightseeing tourist attractions and the city by day including visiting castles, churches, the old town, quirky neighborhoods, museums and along the river. We also cover off-the-beaten-path outdoor activities you won’t find in a typical Ljubljana tourism brochure, Ljubljana itinerary or Ljubljana, Slovenia city tour also known as Laibach.
10 Things to do in Ljubljana, Slovenia Travel Guide Video Transcript:
Prešeren Square is a central meeting spot in the heart of the Old Town, so it made sense to start our tour of Ljubljana here. You’ll find the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation, lots of gelato shops, and the baffling bridge we just mentioned.
As for the reasoning behind the Triple Bridge and the famed dragon bridge, which is guarded by four dragons.
Ljubljana’s Central Market is another spot worth checking out.
We needed to sample some Slovenian food so we went to Allegria.
Sam ordered Zlikrofi (zhlee-krofi), a Slovenian dumpling stuffed with potato + lamb goulash along with Slovenian sausage with cabbage & potatoes.
Ljubljana Castle, which sits on Castle Hill overlooking the city. Built as a medieval fortress in the 11th century, Ljubljana Castle has seen many redesigns and renovations. Climb the Outlook Tower for 360 degree views of the city.
There are departures for cruises down the Ljubljanica. We boarded a cruise directly underneath the Love Lock Bridge, which is actually called Mesarski Most. It was our favourite activity in Ljubljana and it was a super relaxed way to watch the city.
Metelkova is home to the best street art.
One place we really enjoyed was Sarajevo 84, a restaurant specializing in Balkan cuisine. The portions massive & everything we ordered was delicious.
We had a feast featuring: grilled meat with pita and onions, baked beans and sausage, roasted peppers, and a flaky pastry stuffed with cheese. It only came to 23 Euros.
Speaking of galleries and museums, a few you’ll find include: the National Gallery, the Museum of Modern Art, and the National Museum of Slovenia.
We finished off at Tivoli, which is the largest park in Ljubljana.
And that’s it for our time in Ljubljana. Our visit was short, tasty, and relaxing, and we’re really glad we made some time to visit this underrated capital.
Now you guys know the drill; if there are any other things to do in Ljubljana that we may have missed in this travel guide, feel free to share your suggestions with fellow travellers below.
This is part of our Travel in Slovenia video series showcasing Slovenian food, Slovenian culture and Slovenian cuisine.
Music by Ikson: https://soundcloud.com/ikson